It was a catchphrase from his days as host of The Apprentice and, now in the White House, Donald Trump has shown he’s still happy to tell someone: You’re fired.
Since the former celebrity businessman entered the Oval Office, the list of departures from his administration has been rising rapidly.
Some have been dismissed, some have resigned.
Here’s a partial list of officials who have been sacked or have left the administration since Mr Trump took office on January 20 2017.
Jim Mattis, the US defence secretary, announced on Dec 20 he was "stepping down" because his views do not align with those of Donald Trump.
It came a day after Mr Trump made the controversial decision to withdraw US troops from Syria, which includes ending air strikes.
In a letter to the president the four-star Marine general appeared to criticise Mr Trump’s treatment of US allies.
Mr Mattis, who has served since Mr Trump took office said tt was his "core belief" that America’s strength depended on its allies, he said. Those alliances, including Nato, should be "treated with respect".
Mr Mattis. 68, said Mr Trump had a right to a defence secretary "whose views are better aligned with yours," and that he would be "stepping down" on Feb 28.
Writing on Twitter the president said Mr Mattis was "retiring" rather than resigning. Mr Trump wrote: "I greatly thank Jim for his service!"
Nikki Haley announced on Oct 9 that she would be leaving her role as US ambassador to the United Nations at the end of the year.
She departed after two years, though there was speculation she would return to government or politics at some point.
It was a friendly departure and she spent half an hour in the Oval Office with Mr Trump as they jointly announced she was leaving.
Ms Haley said she believed officials should not serve too long, and gave no other reason.
"No, I’m not running in 2020" for president, she joked. She said she would be supporting Mr Trump.
Mr Trump called her a "very special" person, adding that she told him six months ago that she might want to take some time off.
The Federal Bureau of Information director had been leading an investigation into the Trump 2016 presidential campaign’s possible collusion with Russia to influence the election outcome when he was fired by Mr Trump in May.
Arguably the most controversial dismissal, Mr Comey’s firing sent shockwaves through Washington. The White House narrative about how and why Mr Trump dismissed the FBI director changed frequently in the days following the dismissal. However, Mr Trump admitted in an NBC interview: "When I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won," he said.
The president accused Ms Yates of having "betrayed the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States."
Months later, he claimed Mr Trump had tried to contact him on three occasions. He said he refused to take the calls as he was uncomfortable about fostering close contact between the White House and independent criminal investigators.
The head of the US Office of Government Ethics stepped down in July before his five-year term was to end.
Mr Shaub, who also served during the administrations of Barack Obama and George W. Bush, had been an outspoken critic of Mr Trump over potential for conflicts of interest involving his business affairs.
He said: "In working with the current administration it has become clear to me that we need improvements to the existing ethics programme."
The founder of Crossroads Media resigned as White House communications director in May. "The reasons for my departure are personal, but it has been my great honor to serve President Trump and this administration," said Mr Dubke, in an email to friends, reported by Politico.
Mr Dubke’s resignation came amid criticism levelled at the White House over its communication strategy, in particular contradictions between the president and his press team.
The former chairman of the Republican National Committee resigned as chief of staff at the end of July amid an internal power struggle involving director of communication Anthony Scaramucci.
The departure came shortly after Mr Scaramucci delivered a foul-mouthed tirade to a journalist about Mr Priebus, accusing him of leaking to the media.
Profile | Reince Priebus
Mr Priebus was replaced by John Kelly. A confidant of the president said Mr Trump had lost confidence in Mr Priebus after major legislative items failed to pass the US Congress.
The White House press secretary, who was an experienced Republican operative, resigned on July 21, ending a turbulent tenure, after Mr Trump named Anthony Scaramucci as White House communications director.
Mr Spicer had reportedly told friends that if Mr Scaramucci, a Wall Street trader with no Republican Party credentials and no experience in handling media relations, was appointed then he would resign.
Mr Short insisted he had not been involved in any leaks. “Allegations I ever leaked anything are demonstrably false,” he said.
Anthony Scaramucci was fired as White House communications director after just 11 days on the job – and just hours after former Gen. John Kelly took over as President Donald Trump’s new chief of staff.
Hoping to turn the page on a tumultuous opening chapter to his presidency, Mr Trump insisted there was "no chaos" in his White House as he swore in the retired Marine general as his second chief of staff.
His ouster came at a time when the president was increasingly isolated over his comments following white supremacist violence in the Virginia college town of Charlottesville.
Mr Gorka denied accusations that his ties to a Hungarian group linked to the Nazis are evidence of anti-Semitic views.
Mr Trump’s Health Secretary Tom Price, a key ally of the president charged with helping to repeal Obamacare, offered his resignation in September 2017 as the controversy over his travel arrangements showed no signs of abating.
Pressure had grown on Mr Price’s over his decision to spend at least $400,000 (£299,000) hiring private and military jets for himself and his staff.
It was a blow for Mr Trump who campaigned on a promise to "drain the swamp" in Washington if he won the presidency.
The former Apprentice contestant, who was on of Mr Trump’s most senior African American aides, resigned in December 2017 amid reports of a blazing row with John Kelly, Mr Trump’s chief of staff, at a Christmas party.
She said she saw things while working for the president that made her “very uncomfortable” and “unhappy”.
She did not deny claims she was concerned by Mr Trump’s stance on Charlottesville, where a woman died in clashes with white supremacists, and Roy Moore, the controversial Alabama senate candidate.
One prominent US reporter said Ms Manigault demanded her “full access” to Mr Trump be reestablished and even “cursed” at Mr Kelly in front of other guests.
The FBI deputy director whom Mr Trump has repeatedly criticised in public announced he was stepping down from the role in January 2018.
Mr McCabe, who held the post since early 2016, will formally leave the FBI in mid-March when he becomes eligible for full retirement benefits.
The US president has effectively accused him of political bias in the past because Mr McCabe’s wife ran for a Virginia state senate seat as a Democrat.
The White House staff secretary resigned in February 2018 following accusations of domestic violence against former partners
Mr Porter, 40, was described as one of the closest aides to Mr Trump, but handed in his resignation after the accusations surfaced.
A former chief of staff to Utah senator Orrin Hatch, Mr Porter was not a household name but found himself in the spotlight after he was spotted on what appeared to be a date with Hope Hicks, the former model who became Mr Trump’s communications director.
The Daily Mail published a copy of a protective order obtained by Mr Porter’s second wife in 2010 and later published photographs of Mr Porter’s first wife with a black eye she said came from Mr Porter punching her.
He described the accusations as "outrageous" and "simply false".
Days after Mr Porter resigned, David Sorensen, a White House speechwriter, stood down after his ex-wife claimed he was violent and verbally abusive during their two year marriage.
He denies the accusations, but said he was leaving the White House to avoid causing a distraction.
Hope Hicks, the White House communications director and one of Mr Trump’s most trusted and longest-serving aides, abruptly announced her resignation in March, leaving a void around a president who values loyalty and affirmation.
The departure of Hicks, who worked as a one-woman communications shop during his campaign, came as a surprise to most in the White House – and cast a pall over the West Wing at a trying time for the president.
It left the president increasingly without support of the familiar aides who surrounded him during his campaign, and marks the latest in a string of high-level departures in the administration’s second year.
Hicks, 29, had a seemingly untouchable role in the West Wing. Perhaps most importantly, she served as Mr Trump’s glamorous shield and validator, always ready to provide the president with a smiling dose of positive reinforcement, and controlling reporters’ access.
She was the fourth person to occupy the position since the president was sworn in, as the Trump White House has set modern records for staff turnover.
Top economic adviser Gary Cohn announced he was leaving the White House on March 6, 2018, after breaking with President Donald Trump on trade policy.
Mr Cohn, the director of the National Economic Council, had been the leading internal opponent to Mr Trump’s planned tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum, working to orchestrate an eleventh-hour effort in recent days to get Mr Trump to reverse course. But Mr Trump resisted those efforts, and reiterated he would be imposing tariffs in the coming days.
In a statement, Mr Cohn said it was his honour to serve in the administration and "enact pro-growth economic policies to benefit the American people."
The president praised Mr Cohn despite the disagreement on trade, issuing a statement saying he had "served his country with great distinction."
A former Goldman Sachs executive, My Cohn joined the White House after departing the Wall Street firm with a $285 million payout. He played a pivotal role in helping Mr Trump enact a sweeping tax overhaul, coordinating with members of Congress.
Mr Cohn nearly departed the administration last summer after he was upset by the president’s comments about the racial violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. Mr Cohn, who is Jewish, wrote a letter of resignation but never submitted it.
Donald Trump ousted US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson from the White House on March 13, announcing in a tweet that he was replacing him with CIA director Mike Pompeo.
Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job! Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 13, 2018
Mr Tillerson, who, as America’s top diplomat, was third in line to the presidency after Mike Pence and Paul Ryan, had returned from a shortened trip to Africa hours before Mr Trump’s announcement. The evening before his dismissal, Mr Tillerson veered away from the official White House line on Russia as he commented on the UK’s investigation into the poisoning of Russian spy Sergei Skripal.
The move comes after months of clashes between the president and his secretary of state, who was appointed in February last year. Mr Tillerson distanced himself from Trump’s comments on the violence in Charlottesville last summer.
It was thought that Mr Trump wanted to make the change before his proposed meeting with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean dictator, and the negotiations surrounding it.
Donald Trump ousted HR McMaster as his national security adviser on Thursday 22nd March, replacing him with hardliner John Bolton.
The change is part of Trump’s reshaping of his national security team ahead of planned talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
An Army lieutenant general, McMaster has traveled with Trump to several countries and helped craft the president’s national security approach to North Korea, Afghanistan, Iran and other global hotspots.
McMaster has a strong relationship with South Korean officials, and was seen by some as a crucial asset as Trump looks to deal with North Korea.
Some top White House officials knew McMaster was preparing for an eventual exit but wanted him to stay as long as possible.
Trump publicly rebuked McMaster in February, saying in a tweet that his national security adviser had neglected to defend his 2016 victory when discussing U.S. claims that Russia meddled in the election.
McMaster said in a statement released by the White House that he would retire from the military this summer.
“Throughout my career it has been my greatest privilege to serve alongside extraordinary servicemembers and dedicated civilians,” McMaster said in the statement. “I am thankful to President Donald J. Trump for the opportunity to serve him and our nation as national security advisor.”
President Donald Trump fired Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin on Wednesday 28th March in the wake of a bruising ethics scandal and a mounting rebellion within the agency.
Mr Shulkin is the second Cabinet secretary to depart over controversies involving expensive travel, following former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s resignation last September.
He was found to have taken his wife on a business trip to Europe, during which he improperly accepted tickets to Wimbledon.
Mr Trump said he would nominate as a replacement his personal White House doctor Admiral Ronny Jackson.